Chocolate Pineapple Crumb Cake
Yes, yes I did. This is a wonderful and unexpected addition to your dessert repertoire and it is pretty easy to whip together. For some Chocolate and Pineapple have this love hate relationship. You either love the combination or you do not. However in this case it is love all the way!
The recipe can be switched about depending on your taste preferences, but personally I would seriously consider keeping the chocolate crumblies. If you prefer a white cake which will give you more of a Blondie consistency (rather than a brownie consistency) you may switch that out. Of if you prefer LunaGrown Apricot or Peach Jam you may decide to take that road. No matter, this is a guaranteed hit!!!
Before you get overly creative I urge you to try this recipe as I’ve written it. This way you’ll have something to compare it to when you change it up or try other jam flavors or cake flavors. Just a note, this recipe does not work with a box angel food cake. Angel food cake is a devil to work with!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg yolks
- 1-3/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 egg whites about 1 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp melted butter
- 5 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup of flour
- Combine cocoa powder in hot water in mixing bowl. Stir to dissolve; cool.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line bottoms of 3 9-inch round cake pans with parchment (or make 2 cake layers and 12 cupcakes).
- Add oil, vanilla and egg yolks to cooled chocolate mixture. Whisk until smooth.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add chocolate mixture to flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- To make meringue: In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually add meringue to chocolate batter and stir until incorporated. Pour into baking pans and bake 30 minutes, until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack, then remove from pans.
- Mix all ingredients together and crumble over the top of the cake.
- Bake cake for about 30 minutes or until it bounces back when lightly touched. Allow to cool and serve with iced cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!! *you may add nuts if you desire
#pineapple #cake #pineapplejam #dessert #chocolate