Cranberry Baked Apple to Gladden Your Heart
We learned this week that our Cranberry Jam is a favored ingredient in a local artisans baked apple dessert. She was kind enough to give us permission to share her technique. Noting that everyone has their own special way of creating baked apple for the family.
All millionaires love a baked apple.” Ronald Firbank, novelist (1886-1926) ‘Vainglory’
- 4-6 medium apples *choose your favorite we prefer Gala or Golden
- 1-9 ounce jar LunaGrown Cranberry Jam
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cinnamon and sugar
- Puff pastry
- Caramel sauce optional
- Walnuts or Pecans, raisins (optional)
- Peel and core the apples leaving the bottom of the apple intact.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar with your flour and roll apples in the mixture until well coated.
- Fill the center of the apple with LunaGrown Cranberry Jam.
- Roll out pastry dough and wrap apple pinching the dough at the top to create a seal.
- Place apples in a 9 x 9 glass pan and put in the freezer for 10 minutes. (this will keep the pastry dough from sagging to the bottom of the apple during the baking process.
- Heat oven to 375°. Cook apples for 25 - 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Top with warm caramel and chopped nuts if desired.
Once cooked these freeze nicely. Do not freeze when uncooked!