Cranberry Baked Apple to Gladden Your Heart
We learned this week that our Cranberry Jam is a favored ingredient in a local artisans baked apple dessert. She was kind enough to give us permission to share her technique. Noting that everyone has their own special way of creating baked apple for the family.
“All millionaires love a baked apple.” Ronald Firbank, novelist (1886-1926) ‘Vainglory’
To learn another persons approach to an old favorite is a simple joy. Creating baked apples is a tradition for many families. For many the recipe is as simple as brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins, which is how our jam maker enjoyed baked apples on camping trips as a young boy.
Some prefer to fill the baked apple with a combination of berries and nuts topped with vanilla cream and brandy. The recipe we offer is a combination of a classically filled baked apple with that of an apple dumpling. We enjoy a bit of caramel sauce and some pecan on ours, however you may prefer a pat of butter and some apple brandy.
LunaGrown Cranberry Jam is endeared by many. This baked apple recipe is guaranteed to become a favorite. A great addition to a weekend breakfast, or a nice warm gift for an old friend. The scent of delicious apple, and cranberry being baked together will warm your heart and delight your memories.
Baked Apple with Cranberry Jam
- 4-6 medium apples *choose your favorite we prefer Gala or Golden
- 1-9 ounce jar LunaGrown Cranberry Jam
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cinnamon and sugar
- Puff pastry
- Caramel sauce optional
- Walnuts or Pecans, raisins (optional)
- Peel and core the apples leaving the bottom of the apple intact.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar with your flour and roll apples in the mixture until well coated.
- Fill the center of the apple with LunaGrown Cranberry Jam.
- Roll out pastry dough and wrap apple pinching the dough at the top to create a seal.
- Place apples in a 9 x 9 glass pan and put in the freezer for 10 minutes. (this will keep the pastry dough from sagging to the bottom of the apple during the baking process.
- Heat oven to 375°. Cook apples for 25 - 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Top with warm caramel and chopped nuts if desired.
Recipe NotesOnce cooked these freeze nicely. Do not freeze when uncooked!