Banana Cake with Mango Jam
It’s that time when bananas are on sale and you can’t help but buy a whole bunch of green ones thinking you will eat most of them before they start to turn brown. Then they turn brown.
I was smart last time, I sliced and froze them. The bananas were a perfect addition to morning smoothies or protein shake. Of course there’s always banana cream pie, or caramelized banana cheesecake, or the baked chocolate banana french toast. But not for me.
Today it’s cold outside, very cold and I long for something tropical, perhaps an island, but Banana Cake with Honey Mango jam sounds great! Topped with organic toasted coconut flakes. This would be great with some hot tea, even better with a coconut mango martini.
This recipe is low in sugar so it is best served with a jar of pineapple Jam and some homemade whipped cream or butter. A perfect addition to your breakfast, toasted or plain, perhaps served with some yogurt and granola.
Another favorite cake made with jam is our beautiful holiday cake which incorporates apple or fig jam. This cake also makes a wonderful gift.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 large very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 9 oz jar LunaGrown Mango Jam
- 1 cup nuts optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350°, grease and flour standard Bundt pan.
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into greased and floured Bundt pan
- Bake for hr and min or until tooth pic inserted comes out clean. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes then flip pan and allow cake to rest on serving plate until cool enough to frost.
- Top with warm icing and toasted coconut, serve with LunaGrown Pineapple Jam and fresh butter.