Our suggestions on pairing Wine and Jam are pretty straight forward. LunaGrown has a fairly extensive article on pairing different cheeses with your Jam and it was brought to our attention that we left out the wine. A very important part of pulling your affair together. How can one have cheese without wine, especially if you are going the extra step to pair it with the right Jam.
Pairing your wine can sometimes be a bit tricky unless you are very familiar with the type and brand of wine you are planning to enjoy. It also is important to know the region the wine was grown in as this will affect the fragrance or subtleties of the wine itself.
For instance your Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris can come from many different places, from France or Italy, from Oregon to California and can offer different flavor nuances. Your Chardonnay, depending on where it’s grown and how it’s processed, can taste semi-sweet or sour, heady or light. It’s distinction can range from apple, tangerine, lemon, lime, melon, to oak and anywhere in-between.
If your wine has a subtle blackberry flavor then it would be best paired with a jam from the berry category. If your wine has a slight hint of apple or pear, then one of these jams would best enhance that slight fragrance for an intensified flavor experience.
The goal in pairing your wine and Jam is to connect the subtle undertones of the wine with that of your jam and then match the cheese that brings it all together. Below is a list of suggested wine and jam pairings. However knowing your wine will help you choose the best flavor combination.
Suggested Wine and Jam Pairings
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Black Currant Jam, Blackberry Jam
- Italian Chianti – Red or Green Tomato Jam
- Merlot – Plum Jam, Cherry Jam, Cranberry Jams
- Pinot Noir – Rica Barreja Jam, Pear or Apple Jam, Strawberry Jam
- Sangiovese – Blueberry Jam, Cherry or Fig Jam
- Zinfandel – Apricot Jam, Peach Jam, Plum Jam
- Chardonnay -Apple Jam, Lemon or Orange Marmalade
- Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris – Raspberry or Cranberry Jam, Apricot or Peach Jam
- Riesling – Pear Jam or Marmalade, Pineapple or Apricot Jam
- Sauvignon Blanc/Fume Blanc – Apple Jam, Pear Jam, Cranberry Jams
- White Zinfandel – Raspberry Jam, Peach or Apricot Jam
- White Merlot – Blackberry or Blueberry Jam
- White Grenache – Strawberry Jam, Cherry Jam