Key Lime Cheesecake with LunaGrown Strawberry Margarita Jam
I love cheesecake! I love cheesecake so much that I am often hesitant to purchase a slice for dessert from fear of being disappointed.
Many years ago I worked in a restaurant that got it’s cheesecakes made fresh from a local covenant. We called it sister sin cake. I don’t know what those nuns did, but it was both a sin to miss one bite, and a sin to eat more than one slice. I have not been able to find that cheese cake for almost twenty years now.
I have friends and business acquaintances that swear by a nice Italian Ricotta Cheesecake. I have tried it numerous times, and although delicious, I am still a huge fan of the basic cream cheese cheesecake.
Summertime is perfect for anything lime and you cannot do better than a nice Key Lime during the summer heat. I discovered this recipe on Epicurious and think I might be in love. Sorry Nuns.
Key Limes and Strawberry Margarita all in one beautiful dessert. If this dessert makes it out of your home to a social gathering, I would say you have some very strong will power!
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh Key lime juice or regular lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated Key lime peel or regular lime peel
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs about 12 whole graham crackers
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh Key lime juice or regular lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated Key lime peel or regular lime peel
- 1 16- ounce container sour cream
- Thin lime slices
- For lime custard:
- Whisk all ingredients in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until custard thickens and boils for 30 seconds, about 8 minutes. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally (mixture will thicken).
- For crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap 3 layers of foil around outside of 8- to 8 1/2-inch-diameter springform pan with 3-inch-high sides. Butter pan. Stir first 3 ingredients to blend in medium bowl. Mix in butter until moistened.
- Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of prepared pan. Bake just until set, about 5 minutes. Cool completely. Maintain oven temperature.
- For filling:
- Place cream cheese, 2/3 cup sugar, eggs, lime juice, and lime peel in processor; blend well.
- Spoon custard into crust; smooth top. Carefully spoon filling over. Set cheesecake in large baking pan. Add enough hot water to baking pan to come 1 inch up sides of cheesecake pan. Bake until almost set but not puffed and center moves slightly when pan is gently shaken, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir sour cream and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- Carefully spoon sour cream mixture over hot cheesecake; smooth top. Bake until topping sets, about 10 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen.
- Cool cheesecake completely. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Do ahead Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated. Release pan sides from cheesecake; transfer to platter. Garnish with lime slices, LunaGrown Strawberry Margarita Jam and serve.
#cheesecake #lunagrownjam #strawberrymargarita #dessert