Coffee Cake Filled with Jam or Marmalade
Coffee cake infused with jam, is the jam maker’s go to recipe for leaving an especially positive impression. The added jam, or marmalade, and sour cream create a moist cake that offers layers of flavor, yet is not overwhelmingly sweet.
This coffee cake makes a perfect gift, is beautiful to serve at any social gathering and imparts respect for both tradition and whimsy. A grand opportunity to experience your favorite jam in a new way.
This recipe is best suited in a 9 x 13 inch pan, I prefer glass for baking, but you can explore other options. In the suggested pan the finished cake is around 1½ inches thick, so don’t be fooled by the batter. it’s got quite a raise to it.
There is no right or wrong choice when it comes to your jam or marmalade, however I don’t suggest using jelly for this recipe. This is a favorite by young and old alike.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream light is fine
- 1 cup your favorite jam not jelly, preferably with fruit chunks
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, stir together dry topping ingredients until combined, then stir in melted butter until damp crumbs are formed and the mixture sticks together into chunks when you squeeze it between your fingers. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour a 9" x 13" pan or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, followed by the eggs, adding them one at a time until mixture is smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to sugar mixture, alternating with sour cream in two or three additions, until well blended. Batter will be quite thick. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
Stir jam in a small bowl until smooth and drop by spoonfuls onto the cake batter. Gently swirl through with a knife.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven, add crumb topping.
Top with crumb mixture, clumping it by squeezing it between your fingers while you work and spreading it into as even a layer as possible.
Return to oven for 20-25 minutes longer. Cool for at least 60 minutes before slicing.
- Serves 18-24 depending on how you slice it.
- Allow cake to completely cool before icing.
#crumbcake #jam #dessert